Friday, March 1, 2013

Modern Vs Post-Modern

Recently We've been examining the modernist and post modernist art movements, we being myself and lecture group, and whilst looking for Jewellery and Jewellers to write about in my "Journal" I came across a small handful of designers that i personally find inspirational, some could even become my top most influential designers to me and my working life! 

Must be pretty good designers i here you say? 
They are indeed! 


Art(Arthur) Smith was incredibly talented in many art disciplines  and whilst majoring commercial art and sculpture he also undertook night classes in Jewellery making At New York University, where he made several connections to other greats of that time. 
Working as a full time assistant for Winifred Mason, Smith developed his skill and passion for Jewellery.


His success grew and grew and his Jewellery was being featured in magazines such as vogue and Harper's Bazaar.
His customers were wearing his Jewellery as a statement piece to suggest they were part of a modern art movement. 


Out and proud, Smith fought for black and gay rights and fought for the prevention of cruelty to animals. Arthur Smith truly and inspiration.


I encourage you to go look him up! He has such a wonderful collection of frankly bazaar but stunning Jewellery.


Enjoy :)



No comments:

Post a Comment